- 09/1971 - 06/1977, student of Medical Faculty of Vilnius University in field of medicine
- 07/1977 - 06/1978, internalship in general and thoracic surgery in Vilnius University Hospital (Lithuania)
- 05/1979 - 12/1979, Oncological Center of USSR in Moscow - postgraduate training in the field of general oncology and thoracic surgery
- 02/1981 - 04/1981, Moscow Oncological Center - training in the field of medical oncology
- 03/1985 - 04/1985, Moscow Oncological Center - training in the field of bronchology
- 01/1988 - 03/1988, Leningrad Central Institute of Physicians Training - in the field of general thoracic surgery and bronchology
- 09/1989 - European School of Oncology „Lung Cancer“, Leningrad
- 10/1989 - Surgical week in Toronto, Canada
- 08/1991 - 12/1991, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, thoracic surgery service, ICRETT fellowship, field of medical oncology
- 03/1992 - 04/1992, Dusseldorf University Clinic, dept. of thoracic surgery
- 04/1993 - 05/1993, Munchen Rechts der Isaar Technishe University, dept. of thoracic surgery
- 04/1997 - 06/1997, Memorial Sloan-Kettering and M.D. Andersen Cancer Center dept. thoracic surgery and medical oncology UICC fellowship
- 1977 - M.D. at Vilnius University
- 1983 - 2-nd cathegory of physician oncological surgeon (according former SU system of medical qualification)
- 1988 - 1-st cathegory of physician oncological surgeon (according former SU system of medical qualification)
- 1990 - 1-st cathegory of physician bronchologist
- 1993 - highest cathegory of physician oncological surgeon (according former SU system of medical qualification)
- 1995 - Degree of doctor of medicine at Vilnius University
- 2000-Certificate № S1277 for surgical oncology. Valid till 2004
- 2004-Licence № 01988 for thoracic surgery. Valid till 2009
- 2009- Licence № MPL-12174 for thoracic surgery. Valid till 2014
- 2014 - Licence № MPL-12174 for thoracic surgery. Valid till now.
After obtaining medical degree in 1977 Prof. Saulius Cicenas trained at:
- Memorial Sloan Kattering Cancer Center (United States)
- Dusseldorf University Clinic (Germany)
- Munchen Rechts der Issar technishe University (Germany)
- M.D. Andersen Cancer Center (United States)
- Heidelberg University Medical Center (Germany)
- Medical University of Bialystok (Poland)
- Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Germany)
- University of Colorado (US).
- 08/1978 - 08/1990 - junior assistant at the dept. of thoracic surgery, Lithuanian Cancer Center,
- 08/1991 - 1997 - senior assistant at the dept. of thoracic surgery, Lithuanian Cancer Center,
- 1997 - till 2016 - Chief of the Department of Thoracic Surgery and Oncology, National Cancer Institute,
- 2016 - till now - Deputy Director for Clinic, Lithuanian Cancer Institute.
Experience in clinical trials: 1 clinical trial for phase III lung cancer (IUNO) as International Principal Investigator and 14 clinical trials as Principal Investigator for phase II-III lung cancer.
More one hundred publications in local (Lithuanian) and Baltic countries revised medical journals on treatment of lung cancer. 17 publications in ISI peers rewied medical journals. He is an author and co-author of 5 textbooks on Lung Cancer and Mesotelioma treatment.
- ESTS (European Society of Thoracic Surgeons) – Member from 2000 y., Regent for Lithuania 2011-2014 y.y.
- IASLC (International Association for study of lung cancer) – Member from 2001 y.
- EORTC (European organization for research and treatment of cancer) Lung Cancer Study Group - Member from nuo 2004 y.
- Lithuanian Society of Respiratory - Member from 2010 y.
- Lithuanian Society of Oncology – Member from 2000 y., Board member from nuo 2011-2014 y.y.
- Lithuanian Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons – Member from 2003 y., President of Society 2009-2011 y.y.